Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: May be looking for someone to shoot second unit shots in L.A.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I was looking at my first student film a couple days ago and it's still one of my best. The problem is I don't feel comfortable showing it because I never completely finished it, at least to the level it could have risen to.

    I am considering shooting a couple new sound takes hear in Michigan, re editing this film and re doing the sound track.

    I may need someone to be a Second Unit, DP.

    SHOTS I MAY NEED INCLUDE:

    L.A. Skid row, Los Angeles street around the Roxy theater (if it's still there) LA. police cars Rolling by with gum balls on. Heavy downtown street and freeway traffic. City Hall. All to match a film depicting the early 80's.

    Anyone have any of these shots or would like to work second unit? I am thinking I would shoot about August.

  2. #2
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I remember reading a review of a concert that was held in the Roxy Theater about a year or two ago, so I think it's still there.

    I can't help you with the second-unit stuff. I'm a complete amateur and I'm on the other side of the continent from L.A.

    BTW, has anybody here ever try to shoot a period film on a shoestring budget (the kind of budget that most people here work under)? I think it would be extremely difficult to do, unless you limited yourself to interior sets.

    Tom

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you're going to have a hard time getting period footage accidentally, which is what you're really asking for since you don't have the budget to hire people with period cars, wardrobes, etc.

    I hate to sound negative, but even if some of our L.A. filmmakers are up to shooting the footage, you'd have to sit around for hours & hours waiting for exactly the right conditions to appear, which would be unlikely...

    Matt Pacini

  4. #4
    Inactive Member filmspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Give me some more infro./ what is the rate,and format,etc..... e-mail [email protected]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    It's hard for me to image what Los Angeles looks like any more. I left in 1993. I've seen plenty of movies depicting LA. just not my old haunts

    Except one, recently I've seen a national commercial. We use to live in a artists loft in a old brick warehouse building on the corner of 7 th. and Santa Fee. But how did I digress!

    I would need a medium to long shot of City Hall, I'm not sure of all the new building around that might take away from the circa 1980's - 90's look.

    I would also need a couple of downwardly Mobil locations like Los Angeles street. Someone suggested that I get a couple actors to play the part of the homeless and shoot it hear in Michigan in tight shots. Not a bad idea, it would be safer!

    Yes, to answer a question it would require some patience trying to ketch a speeding police car on the fly! To my friends that like fishing, this is my kind of angling!

    My story is about is called the "L.A. PHYCHO BOMBER," It's a bought a guy who used C-4 to put a whole into city hall's mayors office. Chased by the FBI .....could you imagine shooting now days a guy running down the streets of downtown warning a bandolero wired with imitation C-4..strapped to his chest.

    (TRY DOING THAT THESE DAYS WITHOUT ANY PERMITS ON A NO BUDGET FILM! )

    In my story the FBI get's their man, who then blows himself and the agent up! It turns out that this is all a dream, of a disturbed man...who is being told by a nurse as he awakes that's the governor has cut mental health funding and he's a free man. our villain pulls himself out of bed with a deranged smile on his face.

    What I was thinking of adding was the on camera radio announcer reading his news story ....cutting between newscaster and chase see. To hid the fact I crossed the line and did not have coverage! OOPS!

    I found the original black and white Super 8 reversal reel. The video transfer was made back the early 1990's was not that great. I am also looking for the large format (4x5) negative I shot of City Hall, I had a print made attached a little led to the top and used seamless paper for a dark background. My wife used her airbrush skills to paint bomb damage on it.Today if I were to re-shoot the stuff, I would have smoke pouring out of the floor and more extensive damage showing. Plus go in from the long shot to a close up view of the damage. Like I said this was my first film.

    My only concern is that maybe the subject mater would hit people the wrong way?

    Any thoughts???

    (Like I said, I am still thinking of re-working this script and filming some missing scenes! but it's not written in stone.)

    Thanks in advance for any input!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •